Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Free Agent


I've done posts on national security, presidential elections, inspirational stories....blah blah blah. Time for an entry on something that matters---Green Bay Packer football. As most males (and probably a majority of females) in Wisconsin, I was raised a Packers fan. You don't miss a game and you're passionate about the results. Yelling at the TV is optional, but encouraged. The Bears and Vikings do indeed suck.

I was fortunate to be born when I was in terms of the Packers. From age 8 to 20, I knew nothing but winning football. Well there was the one year Ray Rhodes was coach, but I'm pretty close to completely erasing that from my brain. I watched a Super Bowl victory. I've seen a first ballot hall of fame quarterback start 250+ straight games. I watched the greatest defensive end in NFL history play from my favorite team. I've seen many division titles and 3 MVP seasons.

Unfortunately last season I saw something I haven't seen since I was 7---a losing season. The Packers went 4-12. As in four wins and twelve loses. 12 out of 16 weeks of the NFL season I had to go through 3 hours of torture and the anger and depression that comes afterward. Yeah I know I care too much, but there's nothing that many Packer fans or I can do it about it. It may just be a game and I don't play or actually lose or win anything based on the result, but it just matters.

I don't want to go through the 70's and 80's like my father and grandfather did. I've heard the horror stories. The Packers being a doormat for the Bears and Vikings again would not be good for my emotional state. One thing that kept me going during the season was the upcoming offseason. All the teams are 0-0 again and in the NFL quick turnarounds aren't unheard of. Also the Packers came into free agency with more cap room then any other NFL team and they have a top five pick in the draft. Things were looking promising.

Free agency is about a week and a half old and the Packer signed two free agents of atleast some note from other teams---Ryan Pickett and Marquand Manuel. Not exactly Lavar Arrington and Terrell Owens. So day by day free agents are being signed while the Packers and relatively new GM Ted Thompson sit on their pile of cash.

Yes, there is still plenty of time for the Packers to pick up some players and the draft is still coming up, but I'm worried that this rebuilding process is going to be a long one. Bottom line, this team can not just sit on it's hands and do nothing. Time for Ted Thompson to sign some players who are going to help this team.

Failure is not an option.

Oh yes, and the Bears Still Suck.

No comments: